If I was graded on my blogging this week, I would have gotta big red “See Me” written at the top of the paper. Poor. The week flew by and now here I am, sitting on my couch, watching Nicki Minaj and Her Ass “sing” at the VMAs.
So instead, somewhere between Lorde talking to the wrong camera, Madame Tussaud’s wax Kim Kardashian, Miley’s PSA, Taylor Swift’s Red Carpet onesie and the incessant twerking, I came up with The Sunday Six. Or, Six Things that Occurred to Colby This Week. Or actually happened. Or crossed my mind. Whatevs.
1. Trail Running has made me a Chicken Shit. Every crack. Every crunch. Every stick that looks like a snake. All scare the snot out of me. Creepy guys, strolling slowly along, alone in the woods FREAK ME OUT. I need a running buddy or a big vicious dog. Or minimally a handful of Xanax. The good thing is that it’s making me run faster. The bad thing is that I feel like some chick in a horror movie who
runs up the stairs into the woods when she should get the f*ck out of there.
2. Hill repeats, as much as I dread them each damn week, are working. There. I said it. They are making me stronger. And tougher. And surprisingly, far more determined than I have ever been. Why this is the first time I have “officially” made them a part of my training is beyond me. Live and learn, Colby. Live and learn.
3. I FINALLY ran fast!!!!! And by fast I mean negative-split-sub-8-minute-miles-for-8-miles-on tired legs-fast! I was thrilled. For me, the day after hill repeats? I might as well have won GOLD. I might also have blown kisses to my fans in the driveway too. Just being honest.
4. I ran 20 miles and realized that I need to start training my mind a little bit more than my legs at this point. Can my head do hill repeats? Fartleks? Anything? I need to start BELIEVING that I can run a 50k trail race. I am nervous. And I need to knock it off if I’m going to finish this bitch. My goal is to finish. With dignity. Anything more is all gravy.
5. I love watching My Other Half race cyclocross. Cyclocross is badass. Full tilt the whole time. Loosely, it’s like steeplechase on a bike. Sort of. Technical riding off road, hills, off camber, lots of switchbacks, hopping over barriers, running stairs then riding again. As fast as you can. This weekend officially kicked off our cyclocross season. I say “Our” loosely. He races. I cheer wildly, get nervous, freak out, ring cowbells and drink beer. I figure my job is tougher. Better him, than me. I’ve got my own crosses to bear. See what I just did there?
6. I have Super Talented Friends. My friend Craig is both insanely thoughtful and incredibly talented. He sent me this after the PMC:HOW DOPE IS THAT?!?? Such a fantastic surprise. Oh, that’s me alright! That’s me riding the PMC wave complete with snorkel, life jacket, ribbons and smile. He saw my selfies and posts about this years’ wet ride and whipped up this awesome cartoon. He nailed it. I love his take on me and my obviously strong glutes.
All I know is Nicki Minaj better back it up.
Do you ever freak yourself out while trail running? Do you run alone, with a Run Buddy or a vicious attack dog? Do you want a fabulous cartoon of yourself? Drop me a line. I’ll put you in touch with Craig!