Welp, Poodles. 2015 is almost a wrap. I would be remiss if I didn’t at LEAST post a sort of “Colby’s Year in Review” post for auld lang syne. Seeing as how #2015bestnine is taking the Insta-nets by storm, I figured I’d jump on the Trendy Bus, give it a whirl and see what moments were memorable. There were plenty more than nine, and I’m not sure how Rudolph made the cut, but he did. And so did Shalane Freaking Flanagan! So there’s that. Let’s review Colby’s Epic 2015, shall we?
1. Hansons Marathon Method. How could I put together a “Best of” list without my beloved Hansons? 2015 saw me setting a super high running goal- To Run a BQ. With great goals, comes a great training program. And a shit load of craft beer and lobster rolls. I loved them. I hated them. The Hansons Method kicked my ass. That damn training program pushed me so far out of my comfort zone I might as well have been in orbit. But it worked. And in the process I learned I am far tougher and stronger than I ever thought possible.
2. I found a unicorn! I qualified for Boston! And in the process had one of the BEST weekends of the year with my BEST friend and Blogging Partner in Crime, Tina. We both ran the races of a lifetime and did it together. Two friends. Two BQ’s. Two PR’s. And 200 beers. Ain’t nothin’ better.
3. I watched Tina run her first Boston Marathon! In the pouring rain with Shalane Flanagan (see above). I was overflowing with happiness. So proud of her. I can’t wait to run it together. 2017 here we come!
4. I rode in my 11th consecutive Pan-Massachusetts Challenge! ~200 miles in two days across the state of Massachusetts- all to raise money for cancer research. Personally, I have raised over $73,000. Yeah. I’m pretty proud of that one. My heart simply overflows. ❤
4. Drunk Otis. I mean, do I really need to write another word about this sock-eating-hot mess-drunken-frat-boy of a chocolate lab we rescued this year? I hate to say it, but in some ways he’s rescued us. We love him. And sometimes hate him. Maybe we should have named him Drunken Hanson.
5. I am healthy. I had a very real cancer scare this year. It was terrifying. Thankfully, after surgery, all was well. I exhaled. And realized that without health, you have nothing. Nothing at all.
6. Janji! I am honored to be associated with such an amazing, socially responsible running apparel company. Each item of clothing provides a year of clean water to a person in an impoverished country. And the stuff is cute to boot. My fellow Janji Corps Ambassadors are an AMAZING group of runners- some of whom qualified for Olympic trials. Um. That wasn’t me. Not even with Hansons Method.
7. I discovered Hoka One One. And my legs and feet rejoiced. I also discovered InsideTracker. And my health did an about face.
8. I fell in love with trail running. And plan on running more trail races in 2016 and quite possibly, another ultra. Gulp! I ran a bunch of trail races this year and loved every muddy, hard ass technicical minute of it. Run Wild! Get Outside, Poodles!
9. I have amazing people in my life. My Other Half is referred to as such, because he is. He makes me whole. I watched him run his first marathon this year and race cyclocross like an Elite BOSS. He qualified for Boston straight out of the gate. He makes me proud. All of my friends do. This year wasn’t the “Best” for many of my friends. Yet, they handled their year with strength and grace. I am honored to be their friend.
You know, in writing this 2015 Best Moment list and thinking about what 2016 will bring, what goals and accomplishments I am gunning for, what races I will run, a thought occurred to me. I don’t want 2016 to be all about things I want. Instead, I’d rather work on becoming the Best Me I can be. A better listener. More present. And far more kind. I think we all need a lot more of that. Besides, aren’t we all a work in progress? I’ve got my hard hat on. That’s it. I’m officially “Under Construction.” To a happier, healthier, kinder 2016!